GROUNDSKEEPER / MAINTENANCE MECHANIC
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position combines responsibility for both grounds and building maintenance. The incumbent maintains all grounds, athletic and playground facilities, and related equipment in safe, usable and presentable condition. In addition, the incumbent performs a wide range of building maintenance and repair activities at a skilled level. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Director of School Facilities and Operations or other administrative personnel. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate cleaning and maintenance staff.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Cuts, rakes, fertilizes, waters and otherwise maintains lawns and grounds;
2. Plants and cares for trees and shrubs, including trimming, pruning, fertilizing and watering;
3. Performs general maintenance in the care and preparation of athletic fields, stands and fences;
4. Periodically inspects and maintains playground equipment and related facilities;
5. Cleans grounds of trash and debris and transports to proper disposal facilities;
6. Maintains sidewalks, pathways, roads, parking lots and driveways;
7. Performs snow and ice control activities, including plowing, shoveling, and spreading sand and salt;
8. Performs skilled repairs to plumbing, HVAC facilities, electrical systems, doors and windows, furniture, grounds maintenance equipment and other facilities and equipment;
9. Maintains a preventive maintenance program by inspecting facilities and equipment to ascertain need for repair;
10. Estimates materials and costs for repair work;
11. Installs shelving, storage cabinets and new hardware;
12. Performs skilled painting;
13. Maintains time and material usage records;
14. May supervise other employees performing repair and maintenance work of a lesser skill level;
15. Does related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of the principles, practices and tools used in grounds and athletic facilities maintenance; good knowledge of the principles, practices and tools used in skilled institutional facility repair and maintenance; ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions; ability to perform safe and economical repairs on a wide variety of facilities and equipment; ability to communicate, both orally and in writing; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; mechanical aptitude; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
GROUNDSKEEPER / MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Cont'd)
EITHER: (A) One (1) year of full-time work experience at a full performance level in a skilled trade such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, groundskeeping, or carpentry;
OR: (B) Four (4) years of experience in general building construction, building maintenance and repair, or groundskeeping;
OR: (C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in (A) and (B) above.
Possession of a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator's license at time of appointment.